Sunday, November 22, 2015

Week 14: Extra Reading Diary: Myth-Folklore Unit: Ovid's Metamorphoses (Books 5-7)

Myth-Folklore Unit: Ovid's Metamorphoses (Books 5-7)

Cupid and Dis: I like how this story shows another aspect in the relationship between Cupid and Venus. In my earlier storytelling, I wrote about the defiant side of their relationship. This one tells us that she is his mother and he loves her and listens to what she has to say. I feel like Venus is super jealous of everyone even though she is supposed to be the most beautiful person ever. She is annoyingly insecure and I hate it. She is so rude because of it. 
(Cupid and Venus, by Bronzino)
Ceres and Jupiter: I can't say I blame Demeter for being so upset over losing her daughter. I don't understand why Jupiter is not upset. This is such a crazy story to me. Like why is no one besides Demeter upset that Proserpine was kidnapped and raped? It just doesn't make any sense to me. It is such a tragic thing and from the stories I have read about her, she is very unhappy in the underworld. I just wish they would let her do what she wants and not leave her trapped there with someone she doesn't want to be with.

Persephone's Fate: I'm glad they let her spend equal time in the heavens and equal time underground. That way she is with her husband and her mother. However, I still think the whole marriage thing is sketchy. I am done with these stories. They upset me because I have a more modern way of thinking than these stories do. I don't understand why Persephone has to stay put. If she doesn't want to be in the underworld then she shouldn't have to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment